Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

I'll Start With a Confession


I suppose if you’re reading this then I’ve done it. I’ve really gone and done it. But before I do, let me confess the truth to you: I’ve never really liked blogs.

Before you start sending me the hater vibes, let me explain. Like a lot of things we don’t care for in life, I had limited exposure to Blogsville and truthfully didn’t really “get it”. My experience with bogs was really someone saying to me, “oh, didn’t you read my blog? Well I blogged about it” as if I should run and read it before resuming the conversation. It frustrated me because I would just prefer you to tell me about whatever it is you cared enough to bring up in conversation but for some reason thought it wasn’t worth discussing. Does that make sense? And so began my frustration with blogging.

That was until I actually decided to check out some friend’s blogs one day. And guess what, it only took a few minutes for me to understand this once mysterious world. I had an “ah-ha” moment and couldn’t believe how creative, smart, encouraging, deep, and passionate some of my friends really are! And rather than see one’s wanting me to read their blog as an injustice to face to face conversation, I see it now as an invitation, and opportunity to see a different side of them.

That was about a year ago. I don’t get as much time to keep up with certain blogs as I’d like to, but I quite enjoy them when I get a chance.

And now, here I am in Blogstown. It’s taken me a while to get here, and while I am excited to start my very own blog, I’m a little nervous too! Why? Oh geez, where to begin… well…




  1. I feel intimidated by the time I feel I don’t have to put into making a “good blog”. Like I really need one more thing to do with all my spare time. (Yes that is sarcasm). That leads me to reason #2


  2. There are so many outstanding blogs out there, and though it’s not a “blogetition” the thought of mine being second, third or forth rate I just can’t stand (my mom says it’s something to do with me being a perfectionist).


  3. I don’t trust myself completely. Lord give me wisdom to not say something that will offend. Though it’s an area I’ve been working on in my life, I’m still pretty opinionated! I fear I might express myself, you know that temptation for "pointless barking" and someone out there might not like it. (That's the people-pleaser in me).


  4. Did I mention it seems like a big time-taker?


  5. I feel tempted to blog in the hopes of bringing some order to my mind of chaos. (I’m somewhat of a scatterbrain you know). I love to journal but it seems as though I spend what little time I might get to journal catching up on the months I’ve missed! So I’d hate for this to become one more thing I’ve started well and finished poorly. But I’ve had a number of things happen that I say to myself, “Wow, this is totally blog-worthy!”


  6. What would I call it?! (I’m writing this before I actually make the blog. So I guess if you’re reading this I’ve picked a title. Do you like it? I'm probably re-thinking it)


  7. I hardly get a chance to keep up with blogs I love and so that people-pleasing-fair-girl in me things it just wouldn’t be nice to be in blog world and not read the other blogs. I know, so silly.


  8. Last but not least, how safe is a blog? I mean, if I’m putting myself and essentially my family out there, how safe is this? I do have the most beautiful kids in the world, but I’d like to hand-pick who I share them with!

    I know I know it’s just a blog you’re saying. And you’re right, but this is how I operate! And hopefully through my messy, mixed up mind you’ll find something you like. And if you don’t, well that’s ok too.

4 comments:

Robin Saylor said...

Can I be your first to comment?
I love it that you're blogging. For me - it's cathartic. Even if no one reads it, it is good to write and reflect. If you are worried about safety I did make mine so that you can't search it through search engines, you can only go to it if you know that address. I feel a little safer that way.
Have fun with it!!

Joy said...

Welcome to blog-world - I'll add you to my list of "regulars" - I started mine to keep friends & family updated re: adoption plans (which now means posting about a lot of other things since adoption plans...well...not much happens in that regard on a regular basis, that's for sure). Mine is public, at least until kids, but if privacy is a big concern, there is always that option. Have fun!

Vanessa Winters said...

Hooray for the blogosphere!

Anonymous said...

And yes, where do you find the time, but I think this is awesome hun! I love you and think this is a great way for people to read from your amazing insight and even with your opinions, you have changed the way I have felt and seen so many things in my life! Friends for life my girl!
-Ange