Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I've Been Dreading This For a LONG Time

I have a serious problem.

No really, I do. If you know me at all, you’ll know there is one thing I can’t handle, not even to talk about it. Yes, it is even difficult for me to blog about.

Brushing teeth. Toothpast actually.

I can’t get into the details, but basically I close my eyes to brush my teeth and I can only use a natural brand. I’m on the verge of OCD when it comes to rinsing my mouth and the sink post-affair.

Well tonight I was caught off guard when Nate tackled the inevitable: brushing the girls teeth with "the stuff". I gagged and gagged, I’m not sure how I didn’t toss all my cookies.

This led to an almost heated discussion about what to do. It’s true, this needed to be addressed a while ago, but we don’t eat sugar, and I have never had a cavity despite my tp-sickness.

I decided to google about it. Is it really essential? Please oh please tell me it’s not! I already know that most commercial brands do more harm then good and I wouldn’t put in my kids mouths if you paid me to. But I found a recipe! And I googled about the ingredients. It sounds like the perfect solution, so I think we’re going to give it a try so maybe tomorrow I can cuddle my babies at bedtime again.
(oh, and if you’re wondering like my dear hubby did what the difference is, well I can make it not all gross and peppermint as I seem to have a negative association with that, and if I made it in my own kitchen, well it’s just like food. Probably more to do with mind over matter, but hey, I really am sick, it’s not my fault I’m so weird).

Here is the recipe:
Ingredients needed to make natural toothpaste

  1. Baking soda (works as a natural cleansing agent and it polishes and whitens your teeth as well!)
  2. Table salt
  3. Hydrogen Peroxide (naturally disinfects your mouth)
    Stevia (optional as sweetener)
  4. Peppermint oil (optional)

Steps to make your toothpaste

  1. Pour 1/2 cup baking soda into a mixing bowl
  2. Add a dash of salt
  3. Add 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide
  4. Add 1 drop of peppermint oil
  5. Add a dash of stevia (more if you want it sweeter)
  6. Mix it all up until it becomes paste like. You may have to add more hydrogen peroxide to get the right consistency.

A few notes about the homemade toothpaste
You can store it in a plastic container to keep it from drying out.
If you’re not into the peppermint flavor, (like me) you could try ground cinnamon or vanilla extract.

1 comment:

Nathan Birtch said...

Maybe there it is an actual phobia....lets look into this. Perhaps there are some support groups out there.. haha

Love you babe, everything about you....even this!