Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Provoked To Thought

Today Nathan read an article in The National Post reviewing a book. This is a quote that has provoked us to further thought:

"He leaves readers with more questions because he hasn’t really done his job as a teacher, which is what a minister is supposed to be. Instead, he has become a provocateur."

The origin of the word 'provocateur' is 'challenger'.

So a teacher is not a challenger? A teacher is not someone that provokes you to thought? I suppose then a teacher does not ask questions, or inspire and require you to ask them yourself. No, a true teacher will tell you just what you should think then.

It is possible, that if the questions posed make some uncomfortable, then the one responsible for composing them or stirring them must be trying to cause dissension.

Well, that may be true sometimes. So which is it then? Is the person in fact a teacher, wanting you to search for the answers to difficult questions, rather than giving them all to you on a spoon?
Or, is the person simply getting his kicks from causing trouble?

I don't know. But I hope that I have provoked you to think before you swallow.
Or at least think about what you are swallowing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Jesus asked questions that provoked thought....often actually! He even went as far as speaking in parables that were difficult to understand, leaving room for us to interpret and think things through. Not saying that people who provoke thought ARE Jesus, just following his example!