
This is what it’s all about: WANTING to read God's word.
In light of Gods moving and stirring our hearts lately in new and amazing ways, we have been wanting to open our bibles, to dig deep, hear him, understand Him more and what he is teaching us. And guess what....
It’s not about a bible reading plan.
Honestly, I can’t stand them.
Please hear me when I say that we are not wanting to make anyone feel bad who has ever encouraged or done the bible reading plan check it off thing (we have!). However, it is becoming increasingly clear to us that when we attempt to adhere to these types of regimented programs, two things happen. First, once the initial excitement of getting into the bible on a daily basis wears off, we begin to suck the life out of the words that were intended to give us life. We begin reading the bible not to hear from God but to check off our bible and give ourselves a gold star. Sure, God can use these moments to speak to us, (and he does at times) but even we he is speaking to us we often quickly move on because we are “supposed” to read four more chapters still for that day or we can’t get our check mark. Really, how satisfying is a check mark anyway? Clearly it is no substitute for being led on a journey by the living and active father.
And then once the initial newness of “getting on a plan” wears off (sounds like a cell phone….is it “pay as you go”?…yes it is keep reading) we start to lose motivation and then the unthinkable happens. We miss a day! Quick call the church elders, call the prayer team, we have a crisis!!! We have been taught the following…we need time everyday in the word. Find a quiet place even if it is only for 15 minutes and read your bible and pray. A childhood song comes to mind…”Read your bible pray every day and you’ll grow grow grow”….something is missing from that to me. I can’t quite put my finger on it….
So the problem quickly becomes guilt. One missed day turns into 2. And then a week goes by and pretty soon we feel like terrible Christians. I don’t think the bible talks about getting on a bible reading plan. What comes to mind is Dueteronomy 11:18-20
I am coming to realize that a deep desire and hunger to dig into the scriptures comes when we are inspired by revelation. Revelation comes when we are free and open to hear his voice, which by the way is ALWAYS speaking. We just aren’t always listening. We can only truly hear his voice when we quiet voices opposed to him. I.e. The news, the government, OTHER Christians, atheists, the bible….wait did i just write that? Yes, if we are simply reading words, instead of listening for a voice then we can actually be drowning him out.
So my recommendation…..get off the “plan” or you will “pay as you go”.
And this quote seemed fitting
In light of Gods moving and stirring our hearts lately in new and amazing ways, we have been wanting to open our bibles, to dig deep, hear him, understand Him more and what he is teaching us. And guess what....
It’s not about a bible reading plan.
Honestly, I can’t stand them.
Please hear me when I say that we are not wanting to make anyone feel bad who has ever encouraged or done the bible reading plan check it off thing (we have!). However, it is becoming increasingly clear to us that when we attempt to adhere to these types of regimented programs, two things happen. First, once the initial excitement of getting into the bible on a daily basis wears off, we begin to suck the life out of the words that were intended to give us life. We begin reading the bible not to hear from God but to check off our bible and give ourselves a gold star. Sure, God can use these moments to speak to us, (and he does at times) but even we he is speaking to us we often quickly move on because we are “supposed” to read four more chapters still for that day or we can’t get our check mark. Really, how satisfying is a check mark anyway? Clearly it is no substitute for being led on a journey by the living and active father.
And then once the initial newness of “getting on a plan” wears off (sounds like a cell phone….is it “pay as you go”?…yes it is keep reading) we start to lose motivation and then the unthinkable happens. We miss a day! Quick call the church elders, call the prayer team, we have a crisis!!! We have been taught the following…we need time everyday in the word. Find a quiet place even if it is only for 15 minutes and read your bible and pray. A childhood song comes to mind…”Read your bible pray every day and you’ll grow grow grow”….something is missing from that to me. I can’t quite put my finger on it….
So the problem quickly becomes guilt. One missed day turns into 2. And then a week goes by and pretty soon we feel like terrible Christians. I don’t think the bible talks about getting on a bible reading plan. What comes to mind is Dueteronomy 11:18-20
This sounds a lot different to me than getting on some type of plan but I guess it depends on your interpretation. To me this is explained as a lifestyle that weaves it’s way into our daily life….not a fifteen minute “quiet time”.
“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates”.
I am coming to realize that a deep desire and hunger to dig into the scriptures comes when we are inspired by revelation. Revelation comes when we are free and open to hear his voice, which by the way is ALWAYS speaking. We just aren’t always listening. We can only truly hear his voice when we quiet voices opposed to him. I.e. The news, the government, OTHER Christians, atheists, the bible….wait did i just write that? Yes, if we are simply reading words, instead of listening for a voice then we can actually be drowning him out.
So my recommendation…..get off the “plan” or you will “pay as you go”.
And this quote seemed fitting
“After a while, religious people can allow the words themselves to become part of the non-negotiables of their of their faith, and when this happens, arguments ensue, usually about words rather than about reality…At the very least, a religious obsession with theological phraseology can turn a thriving spiritual life into one that is dysfunctional and detached, deadened by an overdose of mental abstraction.”The writer continues,
“…Christians must never treat theological study as our stairway to heaven. Finding the right words and phrases to express faith in Christ is not what saves us.” Bruxy Cavey*A rare appearance made here by my husband who wrote this on a friend's blog. See the comment section if you would like to see my additional thoughts
1 comment:
Well said. This is exactly why I don’t like the plans. Growing up, at some point i had a bible with the rading plan at not just the beginning of the bible, but atthe beginning of ever chapter. It had longer readong plans for the true seeker, and a shorter cheater’s version for those with less discipline (well, that is how i felt). Guess who sttempted to read the wholw bible? Guess who began skimming so she could get check marks? Guess who started wishfully checking in faith that one day i would actually read it. Yes, my mom. Nono, i am kidding, it was me.
And truthfully, i can now admit (because I am not a slave to the reward system anymore and can laugh at myself) that it got so bad that i honestly felt guilty when i opened my bible, knowing that i had failed my attempts to love the word of God.
And so began my hatred for the plans. I just neber understood why.
Then 2 years ago at church (or maybe 1.5?) a ‘read the bble in a year’ plan went out. I so badly wanted to do it. I wanted to hear God in my life, I wanted to prove to Him (and myself) that I took our relationship seriously. Guess how far I got? ( and that wasn’t even the worst part of it. The worst is that we were encouraged to do it with someone so we could hold each other to it. My friend and I said we would,…. NEVER spoke about it again). Then last fall, our pastor’s only birthday wish was that everyone do the e100 Challange. There is an ap for it and everything. Sounds great right? Reading your bible… But I am a little more honest with myself about myself these days, and I didn’t even entertain the idea. I knew I wouldn’t do it. I knew that it was a setup for failure. I can barely find time to pee some days, let alone get through this. And I knew if i did it, or attempted to it was for all the wrong reasons. I am going to check off my boxes so my pastor feels good that his congregants are reading the bible? If you asked him, he probably isn’t looking at your boxes. He wants you to know and hear from God. That’s awesome. It’s just not about the plan. We need freedom from religious shackles like this, or at least I do. I will say though, since this week when ‘all hell broke loose’ on my Facebook wall and I have been walking with someone through some tough stuff, as God has begun speaking to us about things and revealing more of Himself to us, we have been diving into scripture and it has been coming alive to us in new ways. It’s a much better reward than the checkmark.
Post a Comment