Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

A secret

Did I draw you in with the hopes of hearing something juicey? Something personal? Something honest? Well, I will share two secrets with you. This is my first:

VegeGreens

That's right. My first secret is VegeGreens. I have been hiding it in a lot of things lately. The truth is that the Birtch Family has NOT been eating their vegetables. Fresh veggies have been rather intimidating to me lately. Washing, cutting, dicing, chopping. Don't get me wrong, I do it. Just not near as often as I once did, or should, or would like to. But enough "shoulding" on myself - I am grateful for VegeGreens!

My second secret: I can be kindof a control freak.

Phew, there I said it. It feels good to know the Truth though, doesn't it? It's an area I am working on and I will write more about that in the future (ie: flying on an airplane was TOTALLY uncomfortable for me because I was COMPLETELY out of control!)

One area that we are really working on is being careful to not over-parent. When good intentions go too far, you have a problem. I firmly believe that extremes of just about anything are not generally good for a person.

Like I said, more to come on this later, I promise!
For now, let me show you
1) how too easy it is to be a control freak in the name of "common sense" and stifle your child's growth, creativity, imagination, enthusiasm and courage to try new things
2) how letting go is way more fun!


It was Thursday night, and I was alone with the kids for dinner (as per usual as Nathan works late twice a week). Sometimes I get in a funk with dinners. As of late, the kids have been a little more, hmmm, firm in their cuisine preferences (they've been a little picky lately).
I had planned to make souvlaki pitas - one of my hubby's favorites. I had picked up some 50% off pitas that I had put off making for two days. Needless to say, if I didn't use them that night, I was afraid that my good deal would turn into a bad, moldy, waste-of-a-deal. So I had to make them, but I knew they wouldn't go down little throats so well.


Then I looked at the pita and saw not a pita, but a PIZZA! "YES! I will let them make their own pizzas! They will love that!" I said to myself.

So I gathered various toppings into little jars for them to create with. Landon and I made the sauce (that's him in the above. Good technique, eh?)

I was right. They loved it. See...



Here are their creations:
Big one is for Olivia and Landon.
FINALLY - Olivia gets pizza with no sauce!
Little one, top right: Larissa's
Little one, bottom right: Daddy's (1/2 from 'Liv, 1/2 from Larissa)

Here's the crux of it all - did you notice what is on Larissa's? Can't tell? Look again.

Here.
It's strawberries.

Yes. Strawberries. You read that right.

She says to me, "MOMMY!" (with such intensity) "Can I put strawberries on my pizza?"

My initial response is of course, "What? You silly girl, did you just say strawberries?"
"Yes! Mmmmm that would be good" she tells me.
So I say, "I don't know if you'll like strawberries on pizza!"

Then catch myself. I'm doing it.
She wants to try something new and different. She wants to combine two of her favorite foods. Why would I stop her from that endeavor? Because I think it sounds disgusting? Seriously. I am the girl who loves to dip fries in frosties and eat cheese dorritos with cottage cheese and dill pickles (are we still friends? You think I'm sick now. That's ok).

"GO FOR IT!" I tell her. And then I change my song to be completely encouraging, supportive, excited for her new creation.

Guess what? She loved it.
And I didn't mind it.
And I loved watching her get excited about her idea and discovery.

Note to self reminder: Don't be afraid to try new things.
(but that's another story)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a child who thoroughly enjoyed peanut butter and sloppy joes - enough to make me gag. But, his cuisine choice lasted for a year and then he grossed himself out!